The first phase of HazeGazer was implemented between October and December 2020.
Under the initial phase of the project, UNDP, UNICEF, and People in Need (PIN) launched a platform www.hazegazer.mn to generate data from the citizenry on the air quality at specific locations in Ulaanbaatar City, highlighting the challenges people face surrounding air pollution.
The first phase of the projects aimed to:
- Collect and consolidate air pollution data in Ulaanbaatar city through DIGITAL smart devices based on active citizen participation;
- Provide valuable data to researchers, journalists and policy makers;
- Encourage citizens to take action to reduce air pollution impacts, as part of their civic duty, by sharing their life experiences and stories on the platform; and
- Inform decision-makers on the multidimensional impacts of air pollution on citizens, in particular women and children as well as integrate data with secondary sources.
The resulting data, including community reports, is available by clicking the link below.
HazeGazer Phase 1 Statistics
- Number of Contributors: 2,302
- Total Community Reports: 2,609
- Average Number of Work Days Missed: 5 хоног
- Average Number of School Days Missed: 4 хоног
Phase I featured a map with community reports and the corresponding weekly average AQI in that family’s khoroo. You can see the map here: